Shopping for new clothes is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, but it can sometimes prove frustrating. Finding exactly what you want, in a style that flatters your shape and a size that actually fits you, can be trickier than you may think.
Dilemma #1: I can’t find jeans that fit me properly
Jeans can be incredibly difficult to shop for, and it can sometimes seem virtually impossible to find a pair that flatter your figure and actually fit properly. The most common complaints relate to jeans being too long in the leg, too loose or tight around the waist, too low-riding or too baggy around the bottom.
To find your perfect pair of jeans, follow these tips:
- Know your measurements – in particular, your inside leg length.
- When trying on jeans, make sure you wear the shoes you would normally wear with jeans, so you can gauge the correct length to go for
- Try high-waisted jeans – these can pull you in around the stomach and waist, whilst also lifting and flattering your bottom.
- Choose the right jeans for your body shape. For example, you can wear bootcut jeans to minimise wider hips, straight leg jeans to make shorter legs look longer or wide legs to balance out a larger bust.
- Try a pair of ‘universally flattering’ jeans. Many retailers now sell these types of jeans, which promise to flatter all body types. Read reviews before you buy and then give them a try!
Dilemma #2 – I want a dress which shows off my curves, rather than hides them
If you have a gorgeous hourglass shape, you should be showing it off rather than hiding it away under baggy, shapeless pieces. Luckily, there are a few figure-flaunting styles that are in fashion right now – namely, the peplum dress, the bodycon dress and the Galaxy-style pencil dress.
Peplums,, are universally flattering and very elegant, as well as being perfect for enhancing a curvy shape. If you are very confident in your figure (or you have the right shapewear on underneath), a bodycon dress can be a real showstopper, whilst pencil dresses in the style of the iconic Roland Mouret Galaxy dress will suit and flatter virtually every figure.
Dilemma #3 – I want a button-down shirt that doesn’t gape at the chest
This is a very common problem, as many shirts just don’t seem to fit properly in this area. The solution is simple – forget about the buttons and go for a wrap shirt that fastens at the side. Wrap shirts, like wrap dresses, create definition at the waist and are flattering for all shapes and sizes. Provided you choose one in the right material and avoid over-fussy patterns, wrap shirts are just as suitable for work as their button-down counterparts, but they fit much better!
Christine Felton is a Writer at Fashion Union provider of on trend women’s clothing in the UK.